Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Artist Statement

I feel that as an artist, my work is a product of the world in which I live. I know this is a very general statement and is probably true of the work of most artists, but I feel that society and culture are important in art and can make pieces relevant to the time and place in which the artist makes them. Being a fan of realism and satire, I try and combine both elements into my art.


Being a fan of satire and graphic novels and other low forms of art, I like to exaggerate figures and poke fun at the world we live in. I feel that the world can be too serious at times, and it’s good to have a sense of humor about things. I have dabbled in cartooning and caricature, and while most of my formal art lacks any real cartoon-esque figures, I incorporate small elements many times when doing a satirical piece. Sometimes the best way to bring forth ideas of contemporary society is to juxtapose them against appropriated imagery from decades or centuries past. This can bring a certain humor or a certain shock value to the original piece. However, I feel that the most rewarding aspect of art is coming up with unique and original ideas.


Many times it is difficult to break out of certain comfort zones. I try and expand my horizons by utilizing many different media, such as paint, black and white drawing materials, and digital. Many times certain aspects of art cannot be achieved with certain media, so it’s important to be able to use as much different materials as possible.

No comments: